Tuesday, January 27, 2009

reflection questoins from block 4

1. what connections do you personally make to these learning theories?

well, to begin with, I really identify with the constructivism becuase to me that's curriculum as process and that's something that I really want to introduce more into my technician program. I do also recognise that the other half of that equation is the part about the teacher being all knowing ( not really for me, but about pharmacy stuff I am a information sourcde) and the students being an empty slate. I recognize that in my program there is a hugh information base the students do need to acquire, usually through memorization. What I try to stress with the students (because they are often overwhelmed by the sheer volume of material - 300 drug names and manufactures/semester) is the ability to think and problem solve that they can use the information that they have to apply it to new situations. I always tell the students that I can teach them 100 different things and that in the practicum, they'll see 101 different things. this ability to problem solve, apply knowledge, etc is curriculum as process and constructivism. I guess that in my teacing situation, i see the need for both, especially as the work environment changes so rapidly with technology.

2. what evidence of "theory in practice " do you see in your learning environment? Your larger learning community?

As I mentioned above, I see real hands on applications for this in both my teaching environment and my larger learning community which I would describe as the student's practicum sites. When the students are in the practicums, I think that they often feel added pressure to do well and that this sometimes makes it harder for them to use and apply what they have learnt in class. This is something that I'm looking at for the project in this class. I'm thinking of creating a web page (thanks Brent) that the students can use on their practicums to help them. It'll be (hopefully) a communication, connection, information and a fun tool for them to access and connect themselves together. By connecting the students, I think that they can learn from what the others are doing, as well as themselves. Also, sometimes thinking thing through enough to post them help to get a clearer picture of what's really going. Student's can be really perceptive, especially when they're in a similar situation. Everyone learns, me included???

3. How does your use of educational technology, or use of technology within your learning space, reflect your theoretical beliefs of learning?

Well, as I mentioned above, I think that there's lots to be learned from the
"process". I know that student's need to have the foundational knowledge that needs to be memorized, but as I found out from my final project, 21st century skills demand application, extension, problem solving and creativity just to name a few. these are the skills that i think are often missed ( ie encouraged to develop) in teaching. For one of my projects, I interviewed students and coworkers. the coworkers taked about the need for 21st century skills while the students talked about the memoriztion. this got me to thinking that perhaps there was a disconnect.

For myself, we acutally use alot of technolgy in the classroom. One of the conclusions from my final project actually focused around this and it really surprised me. What I saw was that my fellow pharmacist preceptors are like me and are technologically challanged, so when the students go to the practicum site they were actually at a disadvantage becuase they weren't able to use technology as they had in class. I kind of think that this is a good learning opportunity for both the students and the preceptors. how the student's walk me through the technological ins and outs of a site is maybe good practice for when they have to "teach" their preceptors how to do the same??

For me personally, I have to stop being scared of technology and be more willing to give it a try.

4. How to the connectivist or constructionist theoris of learning help you to understand how technology can be support teaching and learning?

Weel, for me, as mentioned above technology learning is a group thing in my class, so I would probably lean more toward the constructivism. I do really like the idea of the half life with connectivism though, becuase this not only applies to technology, but to pharmacy as well. pharmacy is a fast paced, dynamic profession that is always changing and the students might as well learn that now. Another aspect of 21st century skills is self-directed learning. I'm hoping that by us learning together, they may see this as a natural lead to what they're have to do on their own. Continuing education is not only a necessity for me, but something that I really like to do. Hopefully, my students will get this idea too.

As I also mentioned above, I think that a combination of the theories is proably the most effective for my teaching/student learning situation.

1 comment:

  1. Darcy – I understand the challenge of the 100 drug names and the sheer memorization of content that must go on in your program. I have a sister who is currently finishing her Doctor of Naturopathy program and she has continuously struggled with the “memorization” approaches in her program. She says that when she is finished, if she ever sees another PowerPoint of copious notes to memorize and regurgitate again it will be too soon. As I have told her, this is the “sit, git, spit and forgit” method of instruction.

    However while that is how they “teach”, that is not how her learning takes place. She translates the copious slides of notes and data into pictorial charts and hangs them around her room (major visual learner). This is her “making sense of” and “connecting to” the content that has to be memorized. Her learning takes place when it is connected to her prior knowledge and experiences. Her frustration is that most of the exams just require her to spit back the facts and tend to leave out the more wholistic perspective that she needs to see in order to make sense of the situations, material and content.

    So I wonder, how do we measure if we have “taught” something without knowing if our students have learned and can apply it?

    You mention the disconnect between your students’ memorization of materials and the workplace need for application, extension, problem solving and creativity. This is the same disconnect my sister is struggling with and we have spent many hours discussing how the program could be redesigned around a “learning structure” rather than the “site, git, spit and forgit” structure. While I know absolutely nothing about the medical field and can not espouse to know how to teach in that field, it reminds me of a quote from Dr. Barbara Means, at an educational technology conference I attended last year in Las Vegas. She stated that assessment of learning is measuring and prediciting what students know and can do. Testing requires validity and reliability. To make her point she asked, “would you rather fly with a pilot whose assessment was based on multiple choice exams or a pilot whose assessment was based on successful completion of simulated flight experiences?”
    Perhaps the simulated flight is like your students’ practicum and educational internships. I think the ongoing challenge that we all face, is continuing to explore how we can make learning meaningful and relevant so that the disconnect that many students feel is left behind and more meaning, purpose and application can emerge.

    Marnie

    ReplyDelete